I, curtain fabric manufacturer, absolutely adore fabric! Whether silk, or satin, damask or linen, it adds so much to a room; it creates a feel; it is part of history….fabric is so interesting! And it is never to be overlooked when designing or decorating a space.
Here are some interesting facts about fabric that I think are cool and even useful!
1) Flax is the earliest known natural textile fabric seen used in about 5000 BC. Flax is the material used to make linen which is seeing a huge come back today in drapery and upholstery.
2) There is evidence that cotton and wool were used to create natural fabrics in about 3000 BC and evidence of silk use in 2500 BC in China.
3) China is still the largest maker and exporter of silk in the world and has been for 100’s of years.
4) The earliest evidence of fabric textiles has been found in Turkey, Egypt and Israel.
5) The creation of man-made fibers has only been within the last 100 years. Rayon, was the first man-made fiber created in 1910 and it was called ‘artificial silk’. Viscose is the most common form of Rayon.
6) Microfibre or Ultrasuede was invented over 20 years ago in Japan. Microfibre is the thinnest of all man-made fibres, even finer than silk. it is 100 times finer than a human hair.
7) Acrylic is a man-made fibre that has a soft, wool-like hand, is machine washable and has excellent colour retention. It is often an additive to textiles to take advantage of these properties.
fabric-nylon.jpg8) Nylon is also man-made and was first produced in 1938. It has high strength, excellent resilience and superior abrasion resistence. Nylon replaced silk stockings for women in the early part of the 20th century.
9) The highest quality cotton still comes from Eqypt.
10) Bamboo is a grass that has been used to create a fabric that hangs much like a heavy linen. Interestly it has natural wicking ability that pulls moisture away from the skin so it can be useful in reducing moisture related ordour. It also has natural anti-baterial qualities. And it is sustainable as bamboo grows quickly and doesn’t need pestisides to thrive.
We are one of the cut pile fabric manufacturer and welcome to your come!